Q. First Twins fans bash the CITY of Detroit after game 163 (not the Tigers, but the city). Now the Viqueens fans won't shut up about the refs. Lord have mercy if the Wild or Timberwolves were actually any good.
Answer
Speak the truth... Pimp?
They like school in the summer...No Class
Speak the truth... Pimp?
They like school in the summer...No Class
In WS history, who are the 10 best teams to make it to the World Series and lose?
Lexee Love
In your opinion.
I'm looking for year and team.
Thank you.
Answer
I'll provide a list of ten by wins (or winning percentage, some seasons run short) in a moment, but I expect the top two will be the 1954 and 1995 Cleveland Indians. Both were MONSTER teams, and stopped short (swept, in '54).
----------
And we're back.
Silly me, I overlooked the wins-record holding 1906 Chicago Cubs.
Most wins, season, WS losing team (11 teams):
1. 1906 Cubs, 116.
2. 1954 Indians, 111.
3. 1969 Baltimore Orioles, 109.
4. 1931 Philadelphia Athletics, 107.
5t. 1943 New York Yankees, 105.
5t. 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers, 105.
5t. 2004 St. Louis Cardinals, 105.
8t. 1910 Cubs, 104.
8t. 1946 Boston Red Sox, 104.
8t. 1963 Yankees, 104.
8t. 1988 Oakland Athletics, 104.
Other teams that won 100+ and lost the Series:
103 wins -- 1912 NY Giants, 1942 Cardinals, 1962 SF Giants, 1990 A's, 1999 Atlanta Braves.
102 wins -- 1965 Minnesota Twins, 1970 Cincinnati Reds, 1974 LA Dodgers, 1979 Orioles.
101 wins -- 1913 Giants, 1934 Detroit Tigers, 1971 Orioles, 1985 Cardinals, 2003 Yankees.
100 wins -- 1935 Cubs, 1941 Dodgers, 1995 Indians.
Highest winning percentage, season, WS losing team (decision games in parenthesis):
1. 1906 Cubs, .763 (152).
2. 1954 Indians, .721 (154).
3. 1931 Athletics, .704 (152).
4. 1995 Indians, .694 (144).
5. 1912 Giants, .6821 (151).
6t. 1943 Yankees, .6818 (154).
6t. 1953 Dodgers, .6818 (154).
8t. 1910 Cubs, .675 (154).
8t. 1946 Red Sox, .675 (154).
10. 1969 Orioles, .673 (162).
Other .650+ winning percentage teams that lost the Series:
1942 Cardinals, .669 (154).
1913 Giants, .665 (152).
1934 Tigers, .656 (154).
1918 Cubs, .651 (129).
I was just eyeballing the W-L records, so it's possible I missed a team that had a winning percentage that should be ranked (there's been a few screwy seasons over the decades), but I feel confident about this list. However, if I unearth one, I'll insert it where it belongs.
----------
Last edit. Nothing in the top ten rankings above changes, but I did find a few more teams that had a .650+ w% to note:
1914 Athletics, .651 (152).
1933 Washington Senators, .651 (152).
1903 Pittsburgh Pirates, .650 (140).
And, for fun, the bottoms of these lists:
Fewest wins,season, WS losing team:
1981 Yankees, 59 (strike season).
1973 Mets, 82.
1918 Cubs, 84 (shortened season).
1997 Indians, 86.
1919 White Sox, 88 (didn't try to win).
1938 Cubs, 89.
1944 St. Louis Browns, 89.
2005 Houston Astros, 89.
Lowest winning percentage, season, WS losing team:
1973 Mets, .509 (161 decision games).
1997 Indians, .534 (161).
2005 Astros, .549 (162).
1981 Yankees, .551 (107, strike season).
2007 Colorado Rockies, .552 (163).
1983 Phillies, .556 (162).
2010 Texas Rangers, .556 (162).
Lowest under the old 154-game schedule:
1944 Browns, .578 (154).
Fun stuff.
I'll provide a list of ten by wins (or winning percentage, some seasons run short) in a moment, but I expect the top two will be the 1954 and 1995 Cleveland Indians. Both were MONSTER teams, and stopped short (swept, in '54).
----------
And we're back.
Silly me, I overlooked the wins-record holding 1906 Chicago Cubs.
Most wins, season, WS losing team (11 teams):
1. 1906 Cubs, 116.
2. 1954 Indians, 111.
3. 1969 Baltimore Orioles, 109.
4. 1931 Philadelphia Athletics, 107.
5t. 1943 New York Yankees, 105.
5t. 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers, 105.
5t. 2004 St. Louis Cardinals, 105.
8t. 1910 Cubs, 104.
8t. 1946 Boston Red Sox, 104.
8t. 1963 Yankees, 104.
8t. 1988 Oakland Athletics, 104.
Other teams that won 100+ and lost the Series:
103 wins -- 1912 NY Giants, 1942 Cardinals, 1962 SF Giants, 1990 A's, 1999 Atlanta Braves.
102 wins -- 1965 Minnesota Twins, 1970 Cincinnati Reds, 1974 LA Dodgers, 1979 Orioles.
101 wins -- 1913 Giants, 1934 Detroit Tigers, 1971 Orioles, 1985 Cardinals, 2003 Yankees.
100 wins -- 1935 Cubs, 1941 Dodgers, 1995 Indians.
Highest winning percentage, season, WS losing team (decision games in parenthesis):
1. 1906 Cubs, .763 (152).
2. 1954 Indians, .721 (154).
3. 1931 Athletics, .704 (152).
4. 1995 Indians, .694 (144).
5. 1912 Giants, .6821 (151).
6t. 1943 Yankees, .6818 (154).
6t. 1953 Dodgers, .6818 (154).
8t. 1910 Cubs, .675 (154).
8t. 1946 Red Sox, .675 (154).
10. 1969 Orioles, .673 (162).
Other .650+ winning percentage teams that lost the Series:
1942 Cardinals, .669 (154).
1913 Giants, .665 (152).
1934 Tigers, .656 (154).
1918 Cubs, .651 (129).
I was just eyeballing the W-L records, so it's possible I missed a team that had a winning percentage that should be ranked (there's been a few screwy seasons over the decades), but I feel confident about this list. However, if I unearth one, I'll insert it where it belongs.
----------
Last edit. Nothing in the top ten rankings above changes, but I did find a few more teams that had a .650+ w% to note:
1914 Athletics, .651 (152).
1933 Washington Senators, .651 (152).
1903 Pittsburgh Pirates, .650 (140).
And, for fun, the bottoms of these lists:
Fewest wins,season, WS losing team:
1981 Yankees, 59 (strike season).
1973 Mets, 82.
1918 Cubs, 84 (shortened season).
1997 Indians, 86.
1919 White Sox, 88 (didn't try to win).
1938 Cubs, 89.
1944 St. Louis Browns, 89.
2005 Houston Astros, 89.
Lowest winning percentage, season, WS losing team:
1973 Mets, .509 (161 decision games).
1997 Indians, .534 (161).
2005 Astros, .549 (162).
1981 Yankees, .551 (107, strike season).
2007 Colorado Rockies, .552 (163).
1983 Phillies, .556 (162).
2010 Texas Rangers, .556 (162).
Lowest under the old 154-game schedule:
1944 Browns, .578 (154).
Fun stuff.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
0 comments:
Post a Comment