Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Should I learn how to make my own game editor?




Daniel


I've been getting into entry level game development (using C# and the XNA game studio) and have been coding the various positions of objects and assets. I would figure that to make a more complicated/larger game it might be a pain to continue to code the existence of various objects. Am I right to assume that most larger game developers use an editor? Whether they create the editor themselves or buy one and edit it to their needs?

If I should learn about making a game editor, does anybody know where I might find resources about this? Mainly using C# and possibly even XNA?
So you would think that I do not need to learn how to create my own? At least for entry level games?



Answer
You're right, most large game development industries would build games that are based on their own engine (not necessarily an editor) and existing solutions. This is where coding design methodologies become important. The idea is to make your code more pluggable so that you can speed up the development process. For instance, you can get to that familiar part of the process and say, "for this stage of the project, I can plug in that piece of code that I developed years ago".

If you're making an editor for XNA you should already be very comfortable with the framework. But there are already some editors available for XNA (most are not so good). When I was working on XNA projects the Ox Game Engine was the talk of the forums. I did a little work with it but I found the learning curve to be quite steep and overall I found I was quicker coding by hand. It has since become the Xi Engine and you can find out more at http://xigameengine.codeplex.com/

Have a look at http://xigameengine.codeplex.com/ where the guys are discussing some newer editors (havn't checked out these editors myself but I'm intrigued now).

But no, for entry level games you don't need to create your own editor. Build your game and you'll learn some tricks along the way. Your next game will be more complex or better built and you'll soon have developed a system of your own that works.

Game editor?




ng c


How to create a game from warcraft


what program should i use?

EXAMPLE=DOTA



Answer
You should use Rebelsoft game editor or Microsoft Visual Basic




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

Camera Info by - ryanita Edited By Autocar