Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Video Game Journalism?




lets_put_a


I am interested in becoming a video game journalist. I have a few questions though before I delve to far. I am wandering what the lifestyle would be and what would be expected of me depending on how high up the ladder I get.

If you want some example work I have started a blog to get some practice, any criticism is appreciated.

http://annexed.wordpress.com/

I have always wanted to be involved in games and always took a step back after noting this or that downfall. Than I was reading a game review one day and it hit me, I could do this. I hope that with my literacy skills and love of video games I can achieve this goal.

As well, is there even room in this market or are too many reaching for the job?
Bryan L-

Could you please describe your opinion in more depth. Your say what you don't like than don't go any further. You gotta let me know where to improve. Examples are always good.

I would have to disagree about game journalism being a small market. It has grown and continues to. I am not strict on doing just reviews. I am open to almost any form of writing relating to video games.



Answer
There's certainly room for more video game reviewers out there, but you're going to have to develop a unique voice to really have a chance at success. What you have at your blog right now, while an OK start, is bland and generic.

Since there aren't many staff writing positions when it comes to video game reviews or anything else (we're talking online and magazines, and magazines = freelancers = not a lot of staff, because freelancers are cheaper in the long run), you'll have to distinguish yourself as a writer to really have a shot, and you do that through your writing. Punch it up and make people want to read, and you can succeed.

This is quality video game reviewing; you shouldn't necessarily copy it, but recognize what it does, how and why it does it, and how that makes it successful:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation

Also keep in mind that the best video game writing will be like the best anything writing: it will draw you in and engage you as a reader. If you haven't taken any courses in newswriting or magazine journalism, consider that route - just insert video games instead of politics or professional sports or disasters.

Can anyone recommend colleges and universities suited for Journalism (In particular, video game Journalism)?




Si-Si


I'm currently in 9th grade (With only four days of this school year left). I'm extremely unsure of which path I want to take, but I know that I want to write for a living. I'm very passionate about writing. I'm leaning more towards Creative Writing and Journalism.
However, I've noticed that most people on the track towards writing books end up becoming educators. I have no intention of becoming a teacher.
I think that Journalism would be a good field for me, because I want to share my writing with everyoneâand I want it to take me around the world.
It's just, I'm very confused. I'm unsure of wether or not this will even work for me.
My guidance counselor explained to me that I'd be in a Journalism related class next school year. The only Journalism related class outlr school offers is Yearbook staff. Will I learn any fundamental skill in this class?
Anyways, back to my original question. I want to be prepared before my Junior year.
The only university I have my eyes on is the Academy of Art University in San Fransico, burning the tuition for that school is exceptionally expensive. I'm definitely going to apply for all of the scholarships I can manage to, but in the meantime any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.



Answer
Good journalism:
Columbia
Northwestern
NYU

Now, for video game journalism, a computer science major or minor is recommended.I suggest majoring in comp sci and minoring in journalism. Journalism is a dying area, and jobs that pay well are sparse. You'd be very underpaid as a journalist, but if you major in comp sci, at least you can work as a software engineer or something if journalism doesn't work out.

Good comp sci colleges:
Princeton
Stanford
Carnegie Mellon
Cornell
MIT
Columbia


The above answerer suggested University of Mississippi. Please, for the love of God, don't go there. I live in Mississippi, and it is one of the worst places to live in. Oxford, where Ole Miss is, is just horrible.

I'd go with Columbia, honestly. Maintain a 4.0 GPA in high school, do some extra curriculars, particularly writing contests, etc. (make sure to win them!), join some clubs that have writing orientations (debate, etc.) and start preparation for your SAT/ACT and SAT II's. (I'm aiming for a 36 on my ACT this September and 800 on my Bio and Chem SAT II that I will take in October, in addition to 800 in Math Level II. For you, I recommend a science SAT II, and two humanities SAT II's.)

In your junior year, you will take a test called the PSAT, or the NMSQT (National Merit Scholarship Qualifying Test.) If you score above a certain number, typically 210 out of 240, you can become a NMS semifinalist. Take the SAT and score high afterwards, and you can become a finalist.

Those are just some things you can do to set yourself apart when you apply to Columbia or any distinguished college (keep in mind that the mold I've suggested is for the elite colleges.)

There's obviously much more you can do, but this is just a basic template to help you get started. I'm in 9th grade as well, and I can tell you that the best thing to do is start early.

You're going to need all the time you can get.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

0 comments:

Camera Info by - ryanita Edited By Autocar